Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


foundation design on structural fill

foundation design on structural fill

foundation design on structural fill

If a 2m*2m square footing will be installed on a 5 m thick structural fill, how can I get the properties of the structural fill for the settlement and bearing capacity? Is there a reference having properties for different types of structural fills? If we do test in the laboratory or in the field, what kind of test should be carried out? Basically, I want to know the bearing capacity based on settlement requirement.

RE: foundation design on structural fill

DM 7.1 or 7.2 provides typical values for compacted fills.  You may want to refer to that.  Mostly however, I'd say it goes by your local experience.  There are local correlations between SPT and modulus, CPT and modulus or you can also use a DPT to get a modulus value.  Not sure there is a simple answer. . . .


¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

RE: foundation design on structural fill

oyeah:  what kind of structural fill?  Is it a well-graded crushed stone "base" course type of gradation compacted to, say 97% MDD (Modified)?  Is it a fine to medium sand compacted to similar?  Is it a clayey silt fill?  The answers to these questions is important to advise on what kind of loading one would might put on.  If you were to use a well-graded crushed stone "base" type of material (Say like Ontario MOT Granular A or B TypeI)properly compacted, then you could probably put on 400 kPa with settlement less than 25 mm (assuming that the base on which you sit is not "affected" by the footing - of if it is, it is reasonable "stuff".  This value would be far too high if you were using a clayey silt as a structural fill - in this case 150 kPa might be attainable.  You should look into the FHWA publication website as they have a manual of using bridge abutments on engineered fill:  Check out the list (it is something like 15 or so listings down) at www.fhwa.dot.gov/engineering/geotech/pubs

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close