Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

I need to run a 24" square duct through a ribbed metal roof to an exhaust fan. I want to achieve a watertight, silent finished product. Does anyone know where I could find a section view that would show the proper way to flash this penetration?

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

Oh yeah, one other thing the roof is sloped.

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

SMACNA hand book, Duct construction standards.

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

Thanks berkshire. Got a web address for that?

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

You need to find a local curb fabricator. Your sheetmetal contactor should measure the pattern of standing seam. The curb will be built with the reverse pattern to match the roof. The roofing contractor he should be able to tell you the panel manufacture and they may have standard details like the size of the cricket on the high side.

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

I am really grateful for y'alls feedback. what about this scenario? I match the flashing to the roof like suggested then install flashing and caulk with geocell 2300 then put a layer of epdm around it. Also, if the flashing goes under the roof on the up side does it go over the roof on the down side?

RE: Duct penetration through ribbed metal deck roof?

mahalo (Structural)
The item you are referring to as flashing  should be part of your roof jack or curb. And yes it should go under on the upward side and over on the downward side.
 You need to consult with an architectural sheet metal shop, or a roofing specialist.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


White Paper: Agile Product Engineering and Improved Product Outcomes
Today’s product development cycle is fraught with difficulties. Increased demands for complex functionality and reduced product development windows cause engineering teams to borrow practices from the IT industry, swapping outdated serial workflows for a more flexible and collaborative design method known as Agile Product Engineering. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close