I'm struggling with shell elements, I read in this forum that it would be better to use simple models such as frames. However I'm giving a try, and this is my experience:
- I'm trying to link 2D shells with frames. Think about a balcony, linked to a beam and columns.
- I found the results very dependent on the mesh size.
- I found unphysical results when I use triangular elements.
- I found discontinuities within the shells.
- Even if I average there is a large V23 shear stress, which as far as I know it is unphysical (all the tex book say that the shear can be neglected).
- What's the difference between thick and thin plate?
I really would like to understand how to use this elements.
If someone has had similar experience and can suggest solutions it would be great!